The Oasis Care Group carries out significant “Life Story” work jointly with the residents, Leisure therapist and Activity Coordinators to help staff gain more knowledge about the residents’ backgrounds, particularly hobbies and pastimes. Consequently this enables the team to provide and encourage involvement in stimulating activities which are enjoyable and of interest to them.
It has been researched that activities can have substantial positive impacts on physical, physiological, social and mental well being. Furthermore the involvement in activities have also suggested improvements in health conditions such as Depression, Dementia, Diabetes, Falls, Heart disease and Osteoporosis.
Please be sure to look at our newsletter updates as this will inform you of ongoing events at all our care homes.
Examples of benefits of activities
- Physical exercise which helps to increase the body's strength, flexibility, coordination, balance and endurance. Subsequently aiming to improve mobility and posture, reducing falls, hence lowering the risk of fractures.
- Music therapy such as singing and dancing has been significantly linked to improving moods and reducing Depression and anxiety.
- Gardening, Arts and Crafts and Quizzes encourages creativity, imagination, as well as social interactions. Social interactions lead to meaningful friendships and bonds formed and hence a better quality of life.
- Reminiscence activities which enable time for reflection on memories can make an impact on mood.
- Yoga and Tai Chi which focus on improving mental well being and balance.
- Sensory activities improves functional abilities.
- Themed activities related to ongoing yearly events such as Easter, Queens Birthday, Wimbledon, the Olympics, Halloween, Guy Fawkes and Christmas.
- Events including Strawberry Teas afternoon, Spooks Coffee Morning for Halloween, Christmas parties and activities, drinks and lunch at the pub. Planned outings, which have previously included trips to Walmer Castle, all aim to boost connections with the communities.